Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Thursday 12 September 2024

The Wandering 'With'.

When I was younger people met each other.
They only met with an accident.
Now they meet with each other
as well as accidents.

When I was younger, people debated with each other
or others.  Now they debate each other or others.

Today I heard an American say that
she taught with her pupils, which seems to me
impossible.

There are other examples. This is not a grump.
Language-change and evolution are inevitable,
but I think the 'freedom of prepositions'
peculiar to the USA is due to immigration –
a dastardly consequence not yet called out
(or up) by Donald Trump.


1 comment:

Wofl said...

Of course one can escape something and escape from something, but the meanings are slightly different: he escaped infection; he escaped from prison.