Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Tuesday 16 July 2024

For many years (perhaps still)

I liked to think
I would have liked
to have been raised by bears.

Of course I remember
the Northern Irish 'Hen-house Boy'
'hitting the headlines' in 1952.
I fantasised about him.

I wanted to be his brother.

(I don't know what's the matter
with you, said my mother
after every minor punishment
and censure I received at school.)

A long time later,
I read a poem about him
by a worshipped Northern Irish poet.
Its second line is 'A yolk of light'.

Oh no!  I shouted, hurling down the book
with its razorly-crafted lines about a boy
'sharp-faced as new moons'. Aaaaargh!

Predation!

A humdrum book about 'Wild' children that I read
yesterday praises this poem for its sensitivity.
Goodreads
(where you can read my outrageous outrage)
is full of praise for many others, too.

All I find in it is poetic
exquisitely-literary exploitation.


No comments: