Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Tuesday 2 January 2024

'Not the end of the world' ?

 "...it turned out that most of the human wellbeing metrics that I’d assumed to be getting worse were actually getting better. Take child mortality: 200 years ago, almost half of children would die before reaching puberty, and that’s now less than 5%."

– from The Guardian

Readers (including me) have flocked to post replies.


1 comment:

Wofl said...

This was my limited contribution to the discussion:

200 years ago there were at least ten times more mammals and birds (especially on migration routes) around for us to kill and starve. The world used to be loud (in some places, deafening) with birdsong. Where I live, in unindustrialised and heavily-wooded French countryside I hear one blackbird and a couple of owls. A couple of tits come to my balcony for water in the summer. Since I came here, swifts and martins have almost disappeared. I have never heard or seen a wren, but there are pigeons in the villages, magpies, hawks and other raptors.