Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Sunday 19 February 2023

from my Transatlantic Dictionary.

American: Ticked off
= BritIish: Pissed off, annoyed

BritIrish: Piss off! (also Bugger off!
(cf French: Fous le camp!)
= American: Buzz off! Get lost! (arch.)Vamoose!

BritIrish: He pissed off and left us in the lurch*.


BritIrish: Ticked off
= American: Reprimanded, bawled out

American: I could care less
= BritIrish: I couldn't care less


*a 16th-century French dice game, lourche, where to incur a lurch meant to be far behind the other players.


3 comments:

bandit said...

Lacking any remaining restraint, I'll offer my favorite;

"Take it on the arches!"

Wofl said...


What does that mean ?

A nice Americanism is a slam dunk– which I thought was a neat description of American Foreign Policy since Monroe, but which I fancy has something to do with basketball...

Did you know that ... is called aposiopesis
Now say, three times, very quickly: There are pieces of aposiopesis on my spotty penis.

bandit said...

I'll have to look that up. I do have a few scars ...