Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Sunday 8 December 2013

Anniversary of an Emergency

I once joined the Royal Air Force
to train as an interpreter
so I could become a Secret Agent
for the people that the British
were currently oppressing.

I was thrown out only because
I volubly protested
that I was to be taught not Arabic
but Russian - which would have led
to a dingy office and translating-job
suicidally depressing.

1 comment:

Wofl said...

This blog is dedicated to John le Carré.

The people that the British were then oppressing were the South Yemenis in the "Aden Protectorate". The "Emergency" (as the British called their later colonial wars) started 50 years ago, in December 1963.