Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Sunday 5 July 2020

"Fish are nothing like us - except that they are sentient beings."

click to read on...
















     莊子與惠子遊於濠梁之上。莊子曰:儵魚出遊從容,是魚樂也。
     Zhuangzi and Huizi were enjoying themselves on the bridge over the Hao River.
Zhuangzi said, "The minnows are darting about free and easy! This is how fish are happy."

     惠子曰:子非魚,安知魚之樂。莊子曰:子非我,安知我不知魚之樂。
     Huizi replied, "You are not a fish. How do you know that the fish are happy?"
Zhuangzi said, "You are not I. How do you know that I do not know that the fish are happy?"

     惠子曰:我非子,固不知子矣;子固非魚也,子之不知魚之樂全矣。
     Huizi said, "I am not you, to be sure, so of course I don't know about you.
But you obviously are not a fish; so the case is complete that you do not know that the fish are happy."

     莊子曰:請循其本。子曰汝安知魚樂云者,既已知吾知之而問我,我知之濠上也。
     Zhuangzi said, "Let's go back to the beginning of this. You said, How do you know that the fish are happy; but in asking me this, you already knew that I know it.
I know it right here above the Hao."
— Zhuangzi, chapter 17 

No comments: