Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Tuesday 12 March 2024

Remembering Stevie Smith.

When I was on the point of drowning
in a tide-rip, alone, in the Atlantic, in November,
with nothing around me but a grey-green ocean
and an empty strand,
I actually did, momentarily, remember
the splendid Stevie Smith.

And then I touched a sandbar with a foot,
turned round and crawled back hand over hand
against the current and the tide,
coming up for air as my lungs required.
For half an hour I lay panting
in perfect solitude upon the sand.

I would have drowned, not waving...
what would have been the point ?
And, anyway, what human life is worth saving ?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out of mere curiosity, since your autobiography comes in piecemeal quanta of blog entries: In which year did this fateful (or fateless?) November of not-drowning happen?

Liebe Grüße!

Martin

Wofl said...

Lieber Martin,

It was November 1995 at Sidi Ifni in Southern Morocco...wonderful old 1930s (Spanish time) hotel just 400 metres away, nobody at all on the beach...I got swept out as mentioned. The same afternoon (after my recovery) I drove with my rich, female lawyer companion to Tafraout.

This event happened after 2 days of vomiting and diarrhoea from enteritis (a salad, I think). I have been back to Morocco 4 times, and am going again with Malcolm at the end of April.

Actually my autobiography is on my website, also somewhat piecemeal.

www.beyond-the-pale.uk/one.htm

Liebe Grüße an Dich