Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Sunday 10 December 2023

A Mystery.

An e-mailed newsletter from my old and unpleasant boys-only school
in Belfast reveals that 'the Annual Dinner of The Old Campbellian Society will take place with our first ever female President,
former Olympian, Mrs Julie Brown (née Parkes, 7062).'
 

The number indicates a former pupil.  

A Julie Parkes was an Olympic swimmer for Ireland at Los Angeles in 1984, when transgender wasn't even a word.  

Campbell College remains resolutely and expensively a boys' school.


1 comment:

Wofl said...

The only female member of the teaching-staff in the 1950s was a lamentably-incompetent 'art' teacher, in whose class even I misbehaved.
She put me off 'Art' for several years. The boy-groping and inept music-teacher almost put me off music (though I had already discovered Tchaikovsky and Grieg, thanks to records in our attic). Pottery was not available, as was anything vaguely artistic. The geography, history and physics teachers (like Cæsar's Gallic Wars) almost killed my interest in those subjects. Cerebral PTSD has erased all memory of all mathematics teachers. I never passed an examination in that factitious subject.

Apart from the music teacher (later dismissed) pædophilia was, so far as I am aware, almost zero. The two physical 'relationships' I had were mutually inspired. One of them (with a rugby-player) involved an enormous male member...