Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Thursday 25 March 2021

The Unknowing Western Zen Master,

Michel de Montaigne, wrote:

"Instead of always looking out from me, I like sometimes
to look into me, appraise myself...taste myself...
roll about in myself."

This is the feeling of being tinglingly alive
above and below the neck, and gently
commingling with an inevitable cosmic flow,

which in the Japanese tradition is achieved
by the contemplation of suicide,
and in some other cultures is sometimes reached
by absorbing things that grow.

It is, perhaps, the opposite of 'amour-propre' and 'self-respect'
and one day may even become 'politically-correct'.


for more of Montaigne see
here.



No comments: