Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Thursday 28 April 2016

Abd-ar Rahman III

 عبد الرحمن الثالث

Umayyad Emir and Caliph of Córdoba -
that is to say most of Spain and Portugal (al-Andaluz)
in the 10th century of the Christian calendar - wrote:

 Fifty years of my Caliphate have passed.
I have enjoyed riches, honours, pleasures and treasures
to the point of exhaustion.
 Princes admire me, fear me, fawn on me, envy me.
 "Everything a man desires" has been mine for the asking or the taking.
I have worked out just how many
days of happiness I have had during my enlightened rule,
and the number comes to just fourteen. 


 His full name was ′Abd ar-Rahmān ibn Muhammad ibn ′Abd Allāh ibn Muhammad ibn ′abd ar-Rahman ibn al-Hakam ar-Rabdi ibn Hisham ibn ′abd ar-Rahman ad-Dakhil.

2 comments:

Karl said...

Maybe the lack of happiness came from the amount of time it took to sign his name on official documents.

Wofl said...

Not that, Karl - the Grand Vizier did that sort of tedious thing. Anyway, he probably had a signet ring or a big stamp-thing carried on a cushion by a nubile slave with which he could emboss his seal.