Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Sunday 8 July 2012

Escapology

Why is it not considered rude
to ask people you have never seen before
what they 'do' ?
Personally, I'd rather be asked
how much money I had, or
whether or not I was circumcised
(straight answer, yes or no).
So when the taxi-driver (taxi-driver!)
asked me what I 'did' before
'retirement', I told him
I was an Escapist.

First of all, I escaped from school,
and sport, religion, competition;
then the strangling middle class,
employment, television,
marriage, armchairs and sofas, children,
all forms of monetary debt,
responsibility, the voting register, staleness
of mind (which normally sets in at 25)...
and now I am escaping the ills of senility -
and if they come, I'll happily escape this life,
throughout which I have managed to escape normality.

No comments: